Recently when I was in the supermarket I saw nice fresh coconut grated and kept that it was so milky white as he had not scraped the down part of the coconut which normally makes it black. Beautifully grated not even one black spots was found and it was apt for a coconut burfee. I grabbed some and wanted to make this.
The flavour of the cardamom with coconut and sugar tastes really gr8. I luv this combi.
Time Taken : Around 30 mins
Yields : 10 - 12 big pieces like the way I have done
2 fresh coconut grated (I have used the fresh )
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 to 1/2 cup milk (Just to wet the ingredients)
Cardamom powder or syrup - 1/2 tsp
1 tsp ghee for greasing
Nuts, raising (optional) - you may fry and garnish if you like. I dont like so I have not added it here.
- You need nice white part of the coconut so that you will get a beautiful snow white burfee.
- Grease a rectangular plate or square pan or steel plate with ghee and keep it aside.
- Mix milk, coconut and sugar in a thick wide bottomed vessel. Check the sugar level, you can add if you want more now.
- Place it on medium heat and let it come to boil. NOTE: Keep the flame low and it should not get burnt let it take time, do it in very slow flame and you need to stand by and mix, you cant tend to go anywhere from the stove area. The sugar dissolves and blends well with milk and forms syrupy liquid. Using milk instead of water makes the burfi looks more white in color. We are waiting to get the string consistency which means this will become nice thick and this is the needed stage for a proper burfi. When its thick.
- Remove the mixture add cardamom and mix well and now spread it roughly on the greased plate/tin. If you want now sprinkle the fried cashews and raisins all over and gently press them all over with the ladle.
- Level it using a flat ladle and let it cool and set for some time for about half an hour or let it cool well.
- Run the knife and make the markings in the burfi mixture. After some time carefully remove the burfi when they are cold.
Store it in air-tight containers,stays good upto 5 days to 1 week.
If you want longer shelf life keep them refrigerated. I am sure it will not last that longer in my case I had nothing left out to store in the refrigerator. They are so irresistible.