Prep Time: About 15-20 mins for grinding and 2-3 mins for cooking each dosa;
Makes: About 10-12 dosas;
For Dosa Batter
(I have ground this batter in mixie)
1 cup urad dal
3 ¼ cups rice
¼ cup chana dal
2-3 tbsp methi seeds
2-3 tbsp thick poha
1 tsp Ghee/Butter/Oil for each dosa
Salt as per taste
1. Soak the dal, rice, methi seeds with enough water for at least 4-6 hours or overnight.
2. Grind the soaked ingredients along with washed poha with enough water to a very smooth paste; But keep in mind not to add too much water and make the batter water.
3. Allow batter to ferment in a warm place for about 8-10 hours; Make sure the container has enough room for the batter to rise.
4. Add salt to the fermented batter and mix well.
5. Place a non stick griddle on medium heat, Once hot, pour a ladle full of batter at the center; With the back of the ladle, spread the batter thinly; Start from the center and work outwards, in a fast circular motion;
Note: Spread the batter as soon as you pour it on the griddle; The batter will start getting cooked other wise and stick to the ladle, if you try spreading it after a while.
6. Pour few drops of ghee/oil all over the dosa and also at the edges; Let cook on medium heat until it turns golden brown in color.
7. When the dosa is almost done, smear a spoonful of red chutney on the inside of the dosa.
8. Spread a ladle full of masale on one side of the dosa; Fold the dosa so that the masala and chutney are on the inside.
9. Remove from stove and serve immediately with some Chutnies or sambar
For the red chutney for 3 – 5 dose
2 tsp Chana dal
2 tsp Urad dal
5-6 Dry red chilies, low spiced
½ cup grated coconut, fresh/frozen
1. Dry roast chana dal, urad dal and red chilies until you smell the fresh aroma of spices.
2. Grind with coconut and some water to a smooth paste; Keep aside.
For the masale (for 3 - 5 dose)
2 medium sized potatoes - Pressure cooked, peeled and mashed coarsely.
3 medium sized onions chopped into thin strips
¾ tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Lime juice
A piece of ginger finely chopped
3-4 sprigs of coriander leaves finely chopped
5 Green chilies, medium spiced - coarsely chopped
3 sprigs of Curry leaves
1 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
2 tsp Chana dal mixture
Salt as per taste
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, temper with mustard seeds, curry leaves, dal mixture, haldi, ginger and green chilies.
2. Add sliced onions and fry until done onions are fried.
3. Add mashed potatoes, salt and mix well; Remove from stove.
4. Add lime juice, cilantro, curry leaves and mix well