Index

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Medu Vada or Uzhunu Vada

The first thing we go to a restaurant for breakfast everyone loves to have a bite of this yummy vada or you can call it as our South India doughnut. Not much of hardships to make this, you just  have to ensure that you grind this batter thick and very soft  without the urud grains.  Some add baking soda to it to make it crisp but I have not added here to this recipe. You can do so if you like to add a pinch of the soda.

Whilst  you make the sambar vada, dip the vada in water for 3 minutes and then drain the water with your palms by squeezing. Then add hot sambar (I have a huge story to share about sambar, the day I make my post you all will read it and  laugh at me but okay still I will write ok  - thats a promise) and garnish with coriander leaves (take a close look at my pic  i forgot to add) and some chopped onions. I guarantee you its so wonderful and delicious and tastes so different form the  restaurant.

Normally I dont sit to grind for vada seperately reason being I need very small quantity and its difficult for me to grind in the wetgrinder, so what I do is when I grind my weekly idli batter I add up more urud and then take some and use for vada. Simple as that it is.

Try making and enjoy this Vada.

Makes : 10 – 12 (upto the size  you make the vadas)


Ingredients :
Urad dal  - 1 cups  (I used half split)
Rice flour -  1 tbsp
Onion chopped - ¼  cup
Green chillies -  2 nos
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Black pepper crushed -  1 tbsp  
Salt to taste
Oil to fry 

 








Method

Soak urad dal with enough water say about  1 ½ hours

I use a wet grinder to grind the urud dal to a thick and fluffy batter. You may add very little water and ensure that it remains nice thick. Remove from grinder when grounded well.

Throw into the batter the green chillies, onion, curry leaves, crushed whole black pepper crushed  and salt and mix well the batter,  add rice flour to the batter in the end and let the batter rest for 10 minutes

Heat oil in a kadai  when its hot. Use your palm and make  round shapes ball with the batter. Wet your palm with water and place a golf size ball of the vada batter on it and give it a  gentle press slightly with the fingers of your other hand. 






Now using one finger make a hole in the middle of it. Drop it slowly and carefully into the hot oil.
 
You may wet your palm each time you make the round shape, this prevents the batter from sticking on your hand.

Fry the vadas till golden brown on both the sides in medium flame and  remove them on a  kitchen tissue to absorb excess oil. Dont keep the flame high otherwise the vada wont get cooked inside.
Goes very well with any South Indian  breakfast J.

I made some small onion sambar and served it as Vada sambar with  chutnies of your choice, truly we loved it at home.
  
Latha


Sending this to:





 

4 comments:

  1. yummy madhu vadai.... perfect with sambar...

    EzCookbook
    Inviting to join Ongoing Events
    Let's Party - Prasadam Special
    Taste Of Tropics - Authentic Indian Platter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious Vada... Thanks for linking to my event dear :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...