Index

Friday, April 12, 2013

Idiyan chakka or Raw Jackfruit Podi Thooval



Raw jackfruit or Idiyan chakka is so yummy when used in  sambar, thoran or puzuku. Today I have made this simple thoran which is very commonly cooked in most of the homes.

Jackfruit tree is one common tree which you can find in most of the backyards of any house in Kerala. It’s a very tedious  and messy job in cleaning the raw jackfruit or the riped ones.




Whilst cleaning  rub some oil in the knife and your hands so that the glue from the raw jackfruit does not stick to your hands and its easy to clean too.  

My mom makes this too good and this is how she makes it. 






Time Taken  : 45 minutes for cooking and preparing

Ingredients

Raw jackfruit – 1 no. (skinned out and cleaned well - ref to the pic how to clean) *
Turmeric – ¼ tsp
Red chilli  whole – 6 or 8 nos. 
Urud dal – 1 tbsp
Mustard – ½ tsp
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Salt to taste
Fresh grated coconut – ½ cup
Garlic crushed – 6 nos
Asafetida  – a pinch
Coconut oil  - 2 tbsp

* Clean and drop the cut pieces into a bowl of water

Method

Add a ½ cup of water to it add turmeric and cook the raw jackfruit till cooked. Don’t add too much water as it will make this mushy.  You can keep adding water if needed to cook it in the right consistency. Once cooked  let it cool.



If any water left  out during  the cooking process, drain it out. Use a masher and just mash the raw jackfruit  with the hand masher


In a kadai add coconut oil, mustard,  urud dal, red chilli, curry leaves  and crushed garlic and sauté  for a minute more, now add the mashed  raw jackfruit.  Give it a good mix.
Now add salt and let it get nicely mixed.

Throw in the coconut grated, check the salt level and mix well.
Serve this with steamed rice, sambar and as a side dish this will go well.

Latha

Sending this to:





25 comments:

  1. Oh yes, another remembrance of what my mum used to cook too. This is delicious and I know it for sure. The simple flavors are a joy when popped into the mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am drooling.. Pass me some soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious and well explained. Love to taste it as I have not tasted raw jackfruit..

    ReplyDelete
  4. my favorite favorite dish...absolutely love it.this post reminds me of home!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very delicious and flavourful kaya chakka..Who can resist to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Latha, very nice recipe, I have done this before. In fact we have a jack fruit tree back in Chennai. After I go back, I will surely try this. sounds very interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like an awesome recipe, I have never tried this, think I must try sometime

    ReplyDelete
  8. In our village similar veg is prepared with jackfruit....it looks like shredded chicken...:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks super yummy,Latha! :)
    http://www.rita-bose-cooking.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome recipe.. happy to follow u.. plz come and visit my new blog...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ive heard of this dish but havent tried, but have tried curry with raw jackfruit and they are so delicious indeed.. Nice recipe will refer this and try next time I get one :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. btw thanks a lot for posting the SNC shield :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks very yummy. Normally my mom used to prepare fry out of raw jack fruit and surely i am going to this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Miss this here,loved a lot back home..yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks lovely and yummy, Latha!!More like a thoran look. I know, cleaning is really a big deal with this fruit, but it tastes heavenly though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always notice where there is a tedious process of cleaning that stuffs turn out to be the best to use. Like chinese potatoes, this raw jackfruit etc.

      Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  16. Great recipe... Thanks for sharing Latha :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for visiting my blog dear...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vimitha,your recipe and pics makes me drool over my laptop :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you all for the lovely comments and taking your time to visit my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...